Oktober 19, 2023
Company, Industry News, Tips & Tricks,
UN number 3257: insights and significance
UN number 3257 refers to the transport of „HEATED LIQUID, N.O.S., at or above 100 °C and below its flashpoint“. This means liquids held at or above 100 °C and having an important point: Their flash point is below this temperature. These substances require special attention and safety measures during transport.
The Kemler number 99: What does it say?
In addition to the UN number, the Kemler number 99 is a special code that indicates transport regulations and instructions. In this context, the Kemler number 99 is often associated with hazardous materials that are in a heated state. It indicates that special precautions are required.
To ensure safety during transportation, the following measures are required:
- Respiratory protection independent of circulating air: This is essential when handling these substances.
- Chemical Resistant Clothing: To prevent contamination.
- Protection from radiant heat: Appropriate fire-fighting measures, such as water spray jets, should be taken.
Special products are essential when labeling hazardous materials. These include:
Orange warning signs:
These signs show the UN number and hazard number. Our warning plates are specifically designed for secure labeling of hazardous materials in compliance with ADR, RID, IATA, and IMDG Code.
The color and number of the danger label usually indicates the dangerous goods class. We also provide the additional label for heated substances in this format.
These labels indicate the hazard classes and subclasses of the actual package.
provide clear identification of hazardous substances in accordance with the latest IMDG Code 2023 regulations.
Please note that the exact assignment to this UN number depends on the specific properties and transport conditions of the substance. It is important to consult the exact regulations and safety requirements for the transport of a specific substance to ensure proper labeling and safety measures.
This includes various types of bitumen, including road construction bitumen, polymer modified bitumen (PmB) and oxidation bitumen. Bitumen is an important component in road construction and can be liquid at high temperatures.
Metals such as aluminum, copper or lead can melt at sufficiently high temperatures and be transported in liquid form. These may also fall under UN number 3257.
Molten salts, as used in various industrial processes, may also fall under this category. They are liquid at high temperatures and require special precautions during transport.
Certain industrial oils that remain liquid at high temperatures may also fall under this UN number. This could be the case for special lubricating oils, for example.
The correct classification of substances for transport, especially in the context of dangerous goods transport, requires special knowledge and experience in the area of dangerous goods regulations. There are various experts and resources that can help classify substances:
- Dangerous goods officers: Many companies that transport dangerous goods have specially trained dangerous goods officers. These people are responsible for the safe handling, labeling and documentation of dangerous goods.
- Dangerous goods consultants: External dangerous goods consultants are professionals who can support companies in the proper classification, labeling and documentation of dangerous goods. They have specialist knowledge of the applicable regulations and can help with the classification of substances.
- Authorities and regulatory bodies: The responsible national and international authorities and regulatory bodies, such as the Bundesamt für Logistik und Mobilität (BALM) in Germany or the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE), provide guidelines and regulations for ready to transport dangerous goods. They can also answer questions about the classification of substances.
- Databases and Resources: There are databases and resources that provide information on various hazardous substances and their classification according to international regulations. These can be used as reference works.
- Training and seminars: Participating in training and seminars on the transport of dangerous goods can help companies and individuals acquire the knowledge necessary to correctly classify substances.
It is important to consult relevant national and international regulations and guidelines and to always consult experts if you are uncertain or have questions to ensure that dangerous goods are transported safely and lawfully. The classification of substances is of crucial importance in order to avoid accidents and hazards.
Get free advice now
Contact us today to find out more about our dangerous goods labels and other intralogistics solutions and to arrange a personal appointment.
At BOXLAB Services, quality, service and customer satisfaction are our top priorities. Despite the economic challenges of inflation, we want to offer our customers high quality dangerous goods labels such as hazard labels at attractive prices. Visit our website to discover new pricing and take advantage of expanded ordering options. We are proud to continue providing you with first-class products and outstanding customer service.